Why Consider a Home Extension?
Why consider a house extension when you can sell your home and move to a larger house? A few points to consider when thinking of adding a home extension are:
- If you like the suburb you’re living in you don’t have to move and sacrifice location for a larger home.
- Make the changes you want without settling for something that’s not quite right.
- A home extension can be more cost-effective than moving to a larger home
- Potentially you’re happy with your current home, it just needs more space or an update.
Moving house involves a lot of expenses and requires a lot of effort. When you look at moving expenses, bank charges, and other costs, a home extension could be a lot less expensive than moving.
How much will a home extension cost?
This can vary greatly depending on your plans, how large the extension is going to be, and what the inclusions in the extension will be.
If you’re looking at adding a second storey, the cost is generally less than a single level extension. The reason being is because a second storey doesn’t require foundation work and other major expenses. If you need a second storey, it will be cheaper than making a larger ground floor extension and less land will be needed for the extension.
The cost for your extension will vary depending on the work to be done, for example, if excavation work is required, that can increase your costs.
Other house extension costs to consider
The cost of a house extension to include all the basics such as roofing, cladding, interior cladding, insulation, fittings, windows, and doors. It won’t always include other items such as:
- Air conditioning and heating - these are often extra expenses
- A bathroom may be an additional cost of a house extension
- Quality inclusions are extra expenses
- The cost doesn’t include having your plans drawn up or council fees.
- Furnish the extension, is also an additional cost
When compared with a bathroom or kitchen renovation a home extension can provide much needed extra space and increase the value of your home.
A typical bathroom renovation will set you back roughly:
- $5000 to $15,000 for a budget bathroom reno
- $15,000 to $25,000 for an average sized bathroom with mid-range fittings
- $25,000+ for a high-end bathroom
A typical kitchen renovation costs:
- $10,000 to $22,000 for a budget renovation
- $22,000 to $35,000 for a mid-range kitchen
- $35,000+ for a high-end kitchen