Request Service Today

Home Renovations

How do I know if I need development approval?

Development Application for building projects on the Gold Coast

Building projects require council approval or they can be approved using private building certifiers. If you are planning a building project whether it is a shed, garage, swimming pool or a house, you might need to check the rules set by the local council before you proceed with your project. In this article, we will discuss the rules prescribed by the Gold Coast City Council for taking development approval, when development approval is required and when it is not.

Do you need development approval for your building project on the Gold Coast?

Building approval is NOT needed where the construction doesn’t affect the structural integrity and safety of your house. If you are carrying out renovation or maintenance work in your building, approval is NOT needed. However, if the building work changes the structure of the building, approval would be required.

Low risk projects do NOT require building approval like:

  • Garden shed if it is up to 2.4 metres high
  • Fence up to 2 metres high
  • Retaining wall upto 1 metre high
  • Roofed Patio up to 2.4 metre high
  • Deck - 1 metre high and 10 square metres

The Building Regulation 2006 (Schedule 1 and Schedule 2) lists all the projects that do not require approval. You can access the QLD Legislation here -

For all the above projects, check the following resources before going ahead with the development activity.

Looking for expert help? Contact our experienced Gold Coast Builders today

When do you need development approval?

The following require development approval:

  • Swimming pool construction and fencing
  • Waterfront and corner lots
  • Using garage as a living space
  • Shipping container kept for more than 30 days on your property
  • Living in a caravan
  • Tiny house
  • Carports and Garages
  • Gatehouse construction
  • Dwelling house, Secondary Dwelling or Duplex( Dual Occupancy)

Important Note: The list is not exhaustive.

How to check if you need a development approval?

Check the following resources from the Gold Coast City Council website for more information:

Development approval for building projects in Gold Coast

The laws have changed immensely and private building certifiers can help you in obtaining development approval. Our expert team at Symcorp have in-depth knowledge about building approvals and custom house building. We specialise in providing development approvals in the Gold Coast region, renovations, extensions and professional building services.

With us you can be rest assured that your building project will be smooth and tension-free. Save your precious time and money by getting in touch with us. We would love to help! Call us now for a free, no-obligation quote on 07 5594 1768.

Or Browse By Service

New Home Builder
New Build
Home Renovations
Home Renovations


Request A Quote

Symcorp Builder Reviews

Don't take our word for it. Below is video testimonials from some of our previous clients explaining their experience and thoughts on the services that we have provided them.

Click on one of the thumbnails below to load the testimonial into the video player.

Youtube 1
Youtube 2
Youtube 3
guarantee stamp


All of our work comes with a full 7 year Structural Guarantee

We understand that when hiring a builder for a major home renovation, addition or extension, or building a new home can be one of the biggest decisions you’ll make in your life. There are many variables and questions, and no doubt you want to make sure you’re making the best decisions for yourself and your family. And most certainly, you want to feel confident that you’re choosing a trusted builder who is reputable and works with you to deliver a high quality finished product.

At Symcorp, we’ve worked tirelessly to ensure our business and building systems are world class and that our entire team is focused on working together to deliver an amazing experience and product for you and your family.