Kitchen Renovation Mistakes to Avoid
Planning a kitchen renovation? It is a big investment so you need to make sure that you are happy with the end result. Avoid these mistakes so you can get your dream kitchen without exceeding your budget and avoiding the stress.
#1 - Exceeding your budget
Decide on a budget and stick to it. It is very easy to go overboard with the designing and choosing pricey stuff which can increase the overall cost. To avoid this, set 3% of your property value as the budget for your kitchen reno and allow room in your budget for unexpected expenses.
#2 - DIY renovation
If you are a DIY enthusiast, you may be inclined towards doing the renovation yourself. However, there are many details - electrical, plumbing and structural - that you need to take into consideration. For example, older buildings can have asbestos which put your health at risk and must be removed by a specialist.
It is important to hire a licensed and insured builders or tradespeople who have the necessary skills and expertise to get the job done correctly.
#3 - Choosing the wrong contractors
A wrong contractor can mess up your dream kitchen and leave you frustrated. Ensure you choose a licensed and insured contractor for a smooth and stress-free renovation process.
At Symcorp we have over 30 years of experience in renovating and building homes. We pride ourselves on our commitment to deliver exceptional results to our clients. Whether you are undertaking the renovation for the first time or have done this before, we can turn your vision into reality.
#4 - Don’t change the design mid-way
Changing the design mid-project can delay the project and also increase your expenses. So give the go-ahead to your contractor only if you are fully satisfied with the floor plan.
#5 - Poor quality materials
Go for high-quality materials - they will not only last a long time but also increase the overall value of your home. You are going to use the kitchen cabinets regularly so choose something which is sturdy and using durable materials. Poor quality cabinets or handles will get damaged easily and you will have to spend more money to get them fixed in the future.
#6 - Layout
A goof-up in the kitchen design can create a dysfunctional kitchen. It is critical to measure the appliances and keep ample space so the cabinets can open easily without banging into other cabinets.
The stove, sink and refrigerator should be arranged in a work triangular pattern to make the design functional and practical for day-to-day use. If you place the fridge in one corner and the stove in another, it will make the prep hard. They are the busiest areas in the kitchen and having a well-designed layout will make the cooking easier.
#7 - Lighting
Choose the right lighting to make the cooking easier. Bad lighting or even choosing fancy lighting for looks alone can make cooking frustrating.
#8 - Ignoring the details
- A well-designed kitchen has enough storage space to store utensils, groceries and everything else. Plan enough storage space in the kitchen, use Lazy Susan, pull-out drawers and dividers to maximise the storage. Too much storage space is not often an issue but not enough storage space will definitely be frustrating. Counter space is also crucial to make food prep and cooking easier. It is a common issue for homeowners to not have enough counter space, so discuss your needs with your contractor to ensure the design includes enough benchtop space for your needs.
- If you have a small kitchen, make use of all the vertical space. A smart desing tip is to get the cupboards installed right up to the ceiling. The space between ceilings and kitchen cabinets of often wasted and can just attract dust and make cleaning harder.
- The minor stuff in your kitchen is also important, for example, backsplash, kitchen hardware (handles and hinges), electrical outlets for small appliances like toaster, kettle and blender.
- Often people overlook having enough room to store recycling and waste bins. Have a cabinet dedicated to storing bins out of sight.
- Overdesign can also ruin your kitchen. Know when to stop and leave enough room to move around. The key is to achieve a balance between storage and aesthetics.
#9 - Appliances
Choose the appliances first so you have the exact measurements for everything and the cabinets can be placed accordingly.
This ensures the appliances fit appropriately between the cabinets and there are enough electrical outlets for everything.
#10 - Not having fun
Kitchen reno can be stressful but don't forget to add your unique touch to the kitchen. Have fun with the design and add quirky elements so your kitchen looks warm and inviting.
Need help from the kitchen renovation experts
Need help with your kitchen renovation on the Gold Coast, Tweed or Brisbane? Get your dream kitchen today with the trusted renovation professionals at Symcorp. Give us a call on 07 5558 3812 or complete our online enquiry form. And we would be happy to help you.